Saturday, February 21, 2009

Preparation

Tonight I finally prepared for a winter steelhead expedition. The flooding and work have made it a rough year. My favorite rivers are blown or slow so I'll drive south tomorrow. It's been a long time so there were things to do.

  1. My drift rig needed new line so I spooled it up.
  2. I needed fresh leaders so I tied up six of them and stored them in a new "Pip's Leader" box. All with just the right amount of orange yarn.
  3. I dug up my waders and boots and threw them in the truck.
  4. I found my fleece jacket.
  5. I got my travel cup together next to the coffee machine.

Chelle tells me that there is nothing about which I'm more meticulous or detail oriented than fishing. That may be true. It's from fishing that I really learned the value of being prepared. Tying leaders on the river take time away from fishing. Old line breaks right before you tail a big Chinook. Boots get left behind when you are stumbling around for them at 5:00 AM and coffee keeps you off of the road if the cup isn't ready.

When you're prepared you get on the river and FISH right away. Then, even if you don't catch something you end the trip bushed and satisfied that you fished the water well. Sometimes really well. Besides, it's no surprise that every steelhead I've caught followed an evening of tying leaders, flies and putting the coffee cup out the night before.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Cute. I really like the last line. Remember: the heart wants what the heart wants! Nothing rational there.